CppCon Day 4
I took much lighter notes today.
Cpp.chat - Live
- Jon Kalb, Andrei Alexandrescu, Herb Sutter, Phil Nash
- Methods for error handling are converging
- Andrei: “Static-if is the unit of introspection”
- Proposal: constexpr & maybe-constexpr function parameters
- Works just like templates
- There’s bugs that are known at compile-time but can’t be fixed
- Concept: No shadow worlds
- C++ has 4 programming langs
- Proposal for syntax for maybe-constexpr
- Switch constexpr on variables to “maybe compile time”
- Use consteval for “definitely compile time”
- Open questions:
- How do static function variables work?
- What’s the runtime type of a a function with compile-time parameters?
Better Code: Relationships
- Felt really familiar, almost like Sean had already given a lot of this talk
at CppCon 2015 or something.
Dawn of a New Error
- Error codes
- Swift/Rust/C++ all converging on something similar for error handling